Construction & Fleet Manager
This dual role position has many responsibilities for varying aspects of Summit Earthworks. The Construction & Fleet Manager leads the Special Projects and Asset Management department within the Facilities Division. He/She is responsible for assigned in-house construction, maintenance or upgrade projects, including the reading and interpreting of plans or engineering drawings, implementing the correct approach and methods of construction and providing guidance and direction to the assigned field crew for the successful completion of projects. This includes facility/fill site maintenance projects, facility upgrades and ongoing construction of new in–house projects and facilities.
The Construction & Fleet Manager shall help guide long-term strategies outlined by management pertaining to company equipment. This includes the utilization, routine maintenance, inspection and documentation of all owned and leased equipment, including trucks and all heavy equipment. He/She is also responsible for providing direction and support to the Fleet Coordinator to perform and execute their responsibilities.
The Construction & Fleet Manager is expected to communicate and collaborate with the various departments. The role reports directly to the SVP Environmental Services. He/She is expected to provide a variety of routine updates, summaries, and reports. These may include progress reports on construction projects, including cost and schedule updates, and any other reporting as requested. The role is expected to communicate routinely with the General Superintendent and/or Facilities Superintendent for the request of equipment & personnel. Specifically, forecasting & communicating the specific equipment and personnel needs for site construction activities. Planning and scheduling any/all routine/preventative maintenance and repairs for equipment as required should also be coordinated directly with the General Superintendent. The Construction & Fleet Manager is expected to demonstrate team participation, foster and maintain a good working environment in the field, in the office, or wherever they perform their job duties.
- Communication and Collaboration
- Team Work
- Time Management
- Creative and Innovative Thinking
- Coaching and Mentoring
- Accountability and Dependability
- Planning and Organizing
- Problem Solving
- Ethics and Integrity
- Adaptability/ Flexibility
- Decision Making and Judgement
- Adhering to Laws, Company Policy, Rules and Regulations
Specific Job Duties – Construction Manager
- Overseeing multiple projects ensuring onsite construction is completed in full accordance with plans, specifications, good construction practices and in compliance with all safety, code and by-law requirements with a goal of zero deficiencies
- Identify construction approach and methods for assigned projects based on the project scope, objectives and risks outlined by senior management
- Identify staffing & equipment needs, project milestones, and other deliverables for in house construction
- Routine reporting, updating and communication to the SVP and Facility team regarding the progress of deliverables
- Adhere to the Company Health and Safety Program
- Oversee onsite construction activities throughout the lifecycle, including communication with General Superintendent for the allocation of adequate resources
- Adhere to Budgets, Estimates, Construction Schedules and prepare monthly progress reports/updates for all assigned projects
- Track all project costs to ensure completion within budget; identify changes and request extra budget funding where necessary
- Track and document all internal construction costs and all billable work
- Closely monitor the efforts and billing of third-party workers, such as consultants, contractors, and other specialists
- Provide construction direction and oversight to in-house project personnel
- Manage internal or external contractors or trades
Specific Job Duties – Fleet Manager
- Collaborate with senior management on the long term equipment utilization strategy, specifically the heavy-duty fleet trucking division
- Provide direction and oversight to the Fleet Coordinator to arrange, track and document all maintenance, scheduled repairs and routine inspections of company-owned trucks & heavy equipment
Please submit your resume and cover letter to Sarah Cousley at email@example.com.